LD for mold/fungus?

I have a special (and unusual) request from a customer that I owe a favor.
She wants to kill the mold and fungus growing on a few rare and valuable
books that she has.  My question is, what dose should I give to kill the
vast majority of stuff on the books while minimizing the physical damage to
the
books?  If this were a simple sterilization job I'd give it 5Mrad to be on
the
safe side, but the paper, and in one case the leather binding, is somewhat
brittle to start with.  Any one with experience and or suggestions on this?

Many thanks in advance,

Scott Kniffin
Engineer, RSO, CHO
Unisys Corp.
Lanham, MD

The opinions stated here are mine, all mine.  You can't have them.  So there.