Re: unuseful dental x-ray

Ignore my previous message; now the original question is
available.  I'm afraid you should take issue with the
insurance company.  Many of them REQUIRE these radiographs,
which are called "administrative" because the patient gets
no health benefit.  All responsible authorities and
organizations (e.g., the American Academy of Oral and
Maxillofacial Radiology) state unequivocally that there is
no justification for such use of radiation.  I think most
dentists go along with this.

There is another issue.  If there is any question of the
health and vitality of the teeth to which the proposed
bridge will be attached, then radiographs of those teeth
may be clinically justified.  The potential benefit may
well outweigh the potential risk and dollar cost.  A bridge
depending on an unhealthy tooth (or surrounding bone
support) is doomed to early failure, leading to
considerable pain, needless cost, and potential infection.
However, the dentist must justify the radiation exposure on
the basis of reasonable expectation of a health benefit to
the patient.

This is a rather complex issue.  I hope my brief comments
are helpful.

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD                        Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                             FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670         Email: s.julian.gibbs@Vanderbilt.Edu