RE: Lead Coatings

Scott,

I will post this to Radsafe because it may be useful to others.  I had this
same question come up about 15 years ago and found a very good solution.
 There are products on the market that are designed to coat tool handles
with a plastic coating.  These products are in liquid form supplied in paint
cans and you simply dip the object into the can.  I cannot remember the
brand name of the product I used, but there are several brands available.  I
purchased mine at an Ace hardware store and the can size was one quart or
gallon.  If I remember correctly, it was even available in different colors.
 The color I used was a red-orange.

To coat the lead bricks, I drilled a small hole (2.0 mm) in one end of the
brick, and inserted a small cup hook.  I held the brick by the cup hook and
then immersed it into the coating material.  Afterwards I suspended the
brick by the cup hook on a piece of wire to allow the material to cure.
 Once the material cured, I removed the cup hook and patched the small hole
with more of the plastic coating.  The coating was approximatley 2-3 mm
thick.  To get a thicker coating, simply repeat the process.  There are two
caveats with using this process.  Number one is the fact that when the lead
bricks are stacked to make a radiation shield one layer thick, the thick
coating on two adjacent bricks separates the lead in the two bricks,
allowing leakage of radiation.  When I used them in this fashion I always
used a minimum of a double row of coated bricks and staggered them so that
the seams did not line up.  The other caveat is that with the lead bricks
being so heavy and the edges somewhat sharp, it was easy to cut slices in
the coating if handling of the bricks was rough.  This material proved to be
extremely durable.  With the brand I used it was also possible to cut and
peel off the material later, if desired.

 I also coated some graphic bricks that were being used as neutron
reflectors, using the same technique, with satisfactory results.

Regards,
Gary Caines,
Radiological Operations Manager
Honeywell Inc.  IAC