Exempt Quantities

    At Virginia Commonwealth University we have a medical center and a
research community.  We would like to know how other universities or
institutions with broad byproduct materials licenses from the NRC treat
exempt quantities of RAM that do not require a license to order. Do you
operate as if there are no exempt quantities under your license?  Or, do

you allow users to order, receive and dispose of exempt quantities
without regard to your license.
    An example is the C-14 PYTest for H. pylori, which will not require
an NRC license if the proposed NRC ruling is approved.  Would you allow
a user in your institution to order, use and dispose of the radioactive
material waste in the regular trash?  Or would they have to meet all
license requirements as required of users of larger quantities?

Betty Schwab, Radiation Safety Supervisor
bschwab@hsc.vcu.edu