RE: Exempt Quantities

Betty:

This is the way we understand this regulation: The exemption in 10 CFR
30.18 exempts people from LICENSING requirements for total quantities of
radionuclides not exceeding 30.71 Schedule B. If you already have a
broad-scope license you obviously are not exempt, so any quantity of
radioactive material you receive is covered under your license. At the
University of Wyoming, all radionuclides received must be approved and
processed through the Radiation Safety Office, whether or not they are
below the 30.71 Schedule B quantities. All waste is picked up and
disposed the same way. The University is the licensee, not the
researcher. It should be the same at your institution, unless otherwise
allowed under your license.

Jim F. Herrold
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Wyoming