Re: FDA Exemption

     Donald,

     I recently had to research a military exempt laser system which is
     installed by General Dynamics (GDLS) to the M1 Abrams Tank System.  I had
     similar questions about the FDA requirements for such lasers and how GDLS
     would be affected.

     Take a look at MIL-STD-1425A,Safety Design Requirements for Military
     Lasers and Associated Support Equipment (1991), and SECNAV INSTRUCTION
     5100.14B.  These document are available in HTML and/or MS Word format at

        http://safety.nswc.navy.mil/las_saf/MS1425a.htm

        and

        http://safety.nswc.navy.mil/las_saf/SECNAV5100-14B.htm

     LMMS' "exemption" from the FDA requirements is given in 21 CFR Chapter I,
     Subpart J, Part 1040, Performance Standards for Light Emitting Products
     (1997).  The exemption is granted when LMMS produces the laser system in
     accordance with the Navy's contract specification and requirements for the
     military exempt laser system.

     Also, http://safety.nswc.navy.mil/las_saf/index.htm is the U.S. Navy Laser
     Safety Homepage which gives an overview of the Navy's laser safety program
     and requirements.  Rockwell Laser Industries has a great homepage at
     http://www.rli.com/ which has some interesting links which may help you.

     I hope this helps.  Success in finding the answers you need!

     Boyd H. Rose, CM
     Radiation Protection Officer
     General Dynamics Land Systems Division
     roseb@gdls.com

     The opinions expressed above are solely my own and do not under any
     circumstance reflect those of my employer.