Re: DU Projectiles

At 15:35 11/10/97 -0600, you wrote:
>table) and some of the mixed items from its manufacture
>from spent reactor fuel that often include berrilium and
>other trace heavy metals that are also not easily removed
>from the blood, brain and other organ systems.
>Mark Steinbuchel
>markst@ONC.hhsys.org

Are you certain of the origin of the DU as being spent reactor fuel?
I personally can't imagine that.  My recollection from one of my professors
was that the stock came from the hundreds of tons of U-238 produced by the
UF6 gas diffusion plant at Oak Ridge.  Anyone at ORNL care to comment?

Scott Kniffin

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.