Re: Dose Optimization

At 06:41 AM 11/18/97 -0600, you wrote:

>I am developing a dose optimization program and in order to accomplish this
task
>I have reviewed the ICRP documents and PNL-6577.  Now I am interested in
>learning what methods are actually used in the real world.  If anyone has any
>examples of dose optimization techniques they have used, would you please
e-mail
>me describing the technique.  It would also be helpful if you would include
when
>you performed the optimization i.e. Title I, Title II.  Please include
>references that you used.
>
>Thank you
>
>Kevin Roberts
>karober@sandia.gov

One of the best documents on this matter is the IAEA Safety Series 82, 1987
- Application of the Dose Limitation System to the Mining and Milling of
Radioactive Ores, including:
a) Example of Optimization in the Mine Design stage;
b) Example of Optimizationn for Radon Daughter exposure;
c) Optimization of Shielding against gamma doses in a mill;
d) Optimization of Shielding of a loader cab in a high grade open pit mine;
e) Optimization in the product area o a uranium mill;
f) A Numerical illustrationn of the Optimization procedure in a Uranium mine

You also can find valuable information in the IAEA Safety Series 109, 1994 -
Intervention Criteria in a Nuclear or Radiationn Emergency, including

a) Methods for Estimating Optimized Intervention Levels for the Movement of
People;
b) Methods for Estimating Optimized Intervention Levels Speciifically for
Withdrawal and Substitution of Foodstuffs;
c) Modifications to the  Optimized Intervention Levels to Withdrawingand
Foodstuffs to account for agricultural countermeasures

J. J. Rozental <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
Israel