Re: Rad material security is in Subpart I

George - We are a hospital in an Agreement State (AL) but
just returned from an Advanced RSO class by Radiation
Safety and Control Services in New Hampshire (800) 525-8339
where in the course these new regs were covered extensively
- you should call the NRC in D.C. via Mrs. Marlene
McAllister at (301) 415-1982 and request a copy of the NRC
Information Notice number 95-51 "RECENT INCIDENTS INVOLVING
LOSS OF CONTROL OF LICENSED MATERIAL" dated 27 Oct 95.  In
the agency printed fine schedule in the CRR's - a serious
items can go for $5,000 or more (my state regs also has
established seriousness categories and similar schedules)
Since returning from this course, I have relocated my
previously single keyed waste storage cabinets from a
more accessable location to a new locked enclosure that
gives me another layer of physical perimeter/access
security and installed self-closing door hardware on our
Nuclear Medicine hot labs that require the techs to use a
new push pad keyless lock to re-enter.  Thus keeping better
administrative control on well counter check sources,
radioisotopes and low level waste while they are out of
that room to administer doses or whatever keeps them away
from the "maintain constant surveillance of licensed
materials" requirement of 20 CFR Subpart - Storage and
Control of Licensed Material 20.1801 and 20.1802 that you
would be cited under.  Hope this helps answer what you
need.  Also, anyone can get on the NRC Information bulletin
mailing list by calling Marlene in DC.
Mark Steinbuchel, CHCM
Huntsville Hospital System
101 Sivley Road
Huntsville, Alabama  35801-4470
On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:55:10 -0600 (CST) George Rawls
<george@pliny.ehs.ufl.edu> wrote:

> I know that the NRC has been issueing fines on a fairly regular basis
> to licensees for violations involving security of radioactive
> material in non-agreement states.
>
> George Rawls
> University of Florida
> Health Physicist