Release of Soil Samples to Offsite Lab

Radsafers,

At our DOE site, we are occasionally tasked with sending soil samples to
offsite laboratories for non-rad testing (compaction, VOCs,  etc.).  The
problem we have is little guidance as to detection limits (allowable
residual levels) for various radionuclides that might be in the soils.
Current practice is to screen samples by gamma spectroscopy and send
the sample to a licensed lab (capable of accepting contaminants up to the
applicable MDA or measurement).  I'm curious to know what other sites
with multiple radionuclides of concern are doing, in particular if anyone is
using specific release guidelines (and the origin of such guidelines) to
send samples to non licensed facilities.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff Stapleton
email "stapjs@your-net.com"