Re: Release of Soil Samples to Offsite Lab

You wrote:

Radsafers,

At our DOE site, we are occasionally tasked with sending soil samples to
offsite laboratories for non-rad testing (compaction, VOCs,  etc.).  The
problem we have is little guidance as to detection limits (allowable
residual levels) for various radionuclides that might be in the soils.
Current practice is to screen samples by gamma spectroscopy and send
the sample to a licensed lab (capable of accepting contaminants up to the
applicable MDA or measurement).  I'm curious to know what other sites
with multiple radionuclides of concern are doing, in particular if anyone is
using specific release guidelines (and the origin of such guidelines) to
send samples to non licensed facilities.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff Stapleton
email "stapjs@your-net.com"

See NRC, "Health Physics Position Statement" No. 221, (HPPOS-221), available
at the NRC Web Page.  This is specifically for oil, but could be applied to
soil.  The underlying requirement is that the material being released contain
no detectable licensed radionuclides, when assayed with the LLD's used for the
Radiological Environmental Monitoring Program, as specified in the Standard
Radiological Technical Specifications.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com