No Subject

I have been having a private e-mail conversation about possible health
effects of ionising radiation exposure with a US airforce vet with a
plethora of health problems.

I am posting the conversation as I believe I am getting way out of my depth
and would appreciate comments.

I have not included the name or email for the other individual to save him a
barrage of information. If anyone would like to mail him directly, please
email me privately and I will be glad to pass on the relevant details.

Thanks

Anthony Barber
QUT
a.barber@qut.edu.au

(First mail)
At 05:34 PM 22/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Would  you please tell me (estimated)  how many rads a person would receive
>if they were approximately 6" to 12" for about 5 minutes from a unsheilded
>nuclear core that was designed to have a 25 kt explosion without any
>protective device or protectine clothing ?
>
>I will appreciate any information you can send me.

(First Reply)
Hi

Who are you?
How did you decide to ask me this question?
Where did you get my e-mail address from?

rads are no longer used in the radiation industry unless you are very old or
live in some backward country where SI units have not been introduced (like
the US <grin>). Sieverts are used instead.

a "nuclear core" is a term which applies to a geometric arrangement of
fissionable materials designed to produce thermal power over a long period
of time, it is virtually impossible to produce an uncontrolled fission chain
reaction resulting in a "nuclear" explosion in such an arrangement of
fissionable material. Excessive heat buildup may result in a "steam
pressure" explosion such as that which occurred in Chernobyl.

A device designed to produce a "nuclear" explosion of 25kt I guess could
contain up to several kg of fissionable material, the actual mass would
depend on the type of fissionable material and trigger mechanism used and
may vary greatly. A much smaller mass of fissionable material could also be
used if the device was thermonuclear, where the fission explosion is used
solely as a trigger for the fusion of hydrogen fuel in the device.

The radiation related risk to any individual handling the fissionable
material from such a device could vary greatly depending on all the factors
above.

Fissionable materials typically used in "nuclear" devices are predominantly
alpha emitters and as such pose little threat as an external radiation
hazard. These materials become hazardous only when in contact with body
tissues or after ingestion or inhalation.
In addition, I imagine the chemical explosives used as the trigger for the
fission reaction are typically arranged uniformly around the fissionable
material. This precludes easy access to the fissionable material and acts as
a shield from radiation emanating from the material.

If you can specify some of the variables discussed above, I may be able to
provide you with an estimate.

(Second Mail)

At 08:04 AM 28/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
>grew 1 1/2 inches and gained twenty pounds, I didn't;t start smoking until
>1953 and I was not a heavy smoker. To shorten this I have attached a medical
>evaluation by L. S. Kimbrough, M. D. as his report fairly well covers my
>duties and medical history from 1950 to 1954.Below I gave copied a letter
>from Lester Smith, P.hd., Toxicologist for the Center for Disease Control
>(CDC), I outlined my military history and medical history for him.
>
>I will appreciate any information you can furnish me with as the diseases I
>have are not any of the diseases that anyone in my family has, but quite a
>few of the atomic veterans also have. If you would care to evaluate Dry.
>Kimbrough's;s letter I would be grateful
>Respectfully yours,
>
>XXXXXXXXXX
>
>---------------------------------------------         //////////////////
>                   -----------------------------------------------
>
>DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
>         Public Health Service
>'···.~.~
>                                                               Agency for
>Toxic Substances
>                                                                and Disease
>Registry
>                                                               Atlanta GA
>30333
>
>                                                               September 17,
>1993
>

>       Mr. XXXXXXXX
>       899 XXXXX Street # 109
>       San Francisco, CA 94108
>
>       Dear Mr. XXXXXX:
>
>       Your second letter to the Agency for Toxic Substances and
>       Disease Registry explains fully your concerns about your
>       health. It is not easy to diagnose your health condition from
>

>       your letter, but it would appear that you may have been
>       exposed to plutonium radiation during your service with the
>       military. The exposure to carbon tetrachloride is apparent
>       from your letter.
>
>       The mission of the National Institute for Occupational Safety
>       and Health (NIOSH) covers occupational exposures, therefore, I
>       am forwarding your letter to Dr. Rick Hornung at NIOSH. I
>       also called Dr. Michael Kosnett at the Occupational Health
>       Clinic, San Francisco General Hospital to inform him of your
>       concerns. I would recommend that you call him at 415-206-
>       5391.
>
>       I am sure that you will find both referrals helpful. Please
>       do not hesitate to contact me if you need additional
>       information.
>
>                                                         Sincerely yours,
>                                                         Lester Smith, Ph.D.
>                                                         Chief, Toxicology
>Information Branch
>                                                          Division of
>Toxicology
>

>       cc:
>       Dr. Rick Hornung
>       Dr. Michael Kosnett
>

>If you need more information please contact me. and thank you again for
>taking your valuable time to helo me ..

>Attachment Converted: C:\EUDORA\ATTACHMT\MEDRPT95.TXT

(Second Reply)

Hi XXXXX, pleased to meet you, it's nice to know to whom I am speaking.

very briefly, in my opinion the carbon tetrachloride is the main culprit but
ionising radiation may also have contributed to the problems you are
unfortunately experiencing.

Carbon tetrachloride is well researched to definitely cause the following
effects in humans at the levels you were exposed to:

vertigo, headache, mental confusion, depression and

liver dysfunction which causes nausea, vomiting, diahorrea, flatulence,
dramatic weight loss, stomache aches, jaundice, enlarged liver, kidney damage.

heart damage

kidney damage

liver cancer, lung cancer, hepatoma, hepatocellular carcinoma, leukemia

defatting of the skin, severe dermatitis including dry, scaley, fissured
dermatitis and other skin conditions.

These well documented effects explain many of the problems you are experiencing.

Your exposure to ionising radiation would most likely have resulted
primarily from your inhalation or contact with dusts containing radioactive
contamination (my guess is primarily alpha emitters) from your workplace and
the burning of contaminated materials and the fallout exposure. Based on the
info you have given me, this exposure may have been sufficient to result in
the cataracts you describe.