Re: Characterization of a Release Into a Body of Water

You asked:

Radsafers,

	I would like to know if there are any documents/publications
available that would assist us in characterizing a release of
radioactivity into a body of water.  Also, is there dose guidance for
immersion into a body of water that has had a release into it?  i.e.
dose to an individual swimming, dose to a fisherman etc.  What do you
tell the public if you have had a release to the water?  Do you
arbitrarily restrict fishing in an area with some boundary, or do you
wait to obtain samples of the water to better determine the potentially
contaminated water area?  Is it advisable to recommend to the public to
stay out of a certain boundary of water area until samples can be taken
and other recommendations considered?  We are preparing to hold a
simulated press conference based on a release from a nuclear reactor and
are trying to cover any potential questions from the media/public.

I would recommend consulting:

Regulatory Guide 1.109, "Calculation of Annual Doses to Man From Routine
Releases of Reactor Effluents..."

Regulatory Guirde 1.113, "Estimating Aquatic Dispersion of Effluents ..."

NUREG/CR-3332, "Radiological Assessment - A Textbook on Environmental Dose
Analysis" by John Till and Robert Myer

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com