Clean up criteria -Reply

Ernest J Antonio asked:

     A site/location is cleaned up/remediated/restored.  Someone says
     we're done, it's clean.  What is the strategy/plan to demonstrate
     compliance with cleanup criteria (i.e., how, specifically, do you
     characterize/monitor the site to prove the site is clean?)

The current NRC policy is to conduct a survey as described in NUREG/CR-5849,
"Manual for Conducting Radiological Surveys in Support of License Termination,"
1992.

However, a new Regulatory Guide is being prepared and should be published in
spring 1998.  That guide will endorse the survey method in NUREG-1575,
"Multi-Agency Radiation Survey and Site Investigation Manual (MARSSIM)," 1998.
(The 1996 MARSSIM is a draft for public comment.  The final MARSSIM will be
published in early 1998.)  EPA has put the 1996 MARSSIM on the Web, but I don't
have the address.  EPA, DOE, and DOD are also expected to endorse the method in
the final MARSSIM.

Stephen A. McGuire
sam2@nrc.gov