Clean up criteria

     Fellow Radsafers:
     I am posting the following request for a colleague:

     I'm looking for information on the following and you may be able to
     help.

     A site/location is cleaned up/remediated/restored.  Someone says
     we're done, it's clean.  What is the strategy/plan to demonstrate
     compliance with cleanup criteria (i.e., how, specifically, do you
     characterize/monitor the site to prove the site is clean?)  I need to
     prepare a brief (3-5 page) description of specific examples from the
     U. S. discussing successes/failures using hand held, insitu, or mobile
     instruments, or the collecting of environmental samples.  This is for
     rad only!!  Are you aware of any such examples?  Any help would be
     appreciated.

     I will forward responses to the originator of the request.

     Ernest Antonio
     Reasearch Scientist
     Pacific Northwest National Lab.
     (509) 375-3809