Re: Food irradiation - what survival levels are aimed for?

At 13:05 12/04/97 -0600, you wrote:
>> From:          "Otto G. Raabe" <ograabe@ucdavis.edu>
> So, for example a dose of one
>> kGy might reduce a particular bacterium by 10^6, but this would mean there
>> would still be some (10^[-6])viable bacteria remaining.
>
>On millionth of one bacterium doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  I

I presumed he meant that there were 10^-6 times the number of origional
bacteria left alive.  i.e. 50,000,000 organisims initially (10^-6) = 50
remain alive after irradiation.  What did you mean. Professor Raabe?

Scott Kniffin

Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.