Re: Letter to Shirley Jackson

David Scherer wrote:

Thanks for the effort, but its your strawman threshold and rather disingenuous
analysis, not mine.

Neither case you use here is chronic/lifetime. If you want chronic, take high
background or even the 500 rem lifetime of radiologists estimated by Doll in
1981 with no excess cancer, or the radium-burden population. Obviously some
substantial populations exceed 1 rem/year, do they have effects; some small
populations/individuals go above 10 rem/year. Why don't you use them?

I still argue that we have no idea where a serious effort would work out, but
that we are dishonestly preventing such an honest, formal, open, scientific
assessment and consensus process from addressing the actual data. And that's
not an accident. Al Tschaeche has proposed to inaugurate a standards process.
(Scientific committees seem to be unable to define anything other than how to
justify more science. Standards are the process by which the engineering
process can bound what is known to establish how to actually build something
that won't fall down :-)