From:           Self <TDHBRC1/WDUNN>
To:             radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Subject:        Re: Shipping radioactive material
Date sent:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 07:57:24 -0600 (CST)

Just for clarification:

--From a practical standpoint, DOT only regulates transportation
related to interstate commerce (I'm sure someone can dig out the
proper phrasing).  So if you're taking your fiestaware down the
street, DOT has no jurisdiction and won't worry about it.

However! most states have incorporated DOT regulations verbatim or by
reference (this all happened several years ago when the CDL
[Commercial Driver's License] mandate came down).  For example: The
Texas Department of Public Safety (state police) have adopted 49CFR.
What they choose to inspect/enforce is up to them.

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us