letters to the editor

There is another reason to consider keeping your letter to the editor
short and pointed. It is not just the activist or "very interested"
reader you want to reach.  These people are likely to already be well
versed in the facts or at a point where they believe they are well versed
anyway. You are not likely going to suceed and "educate" them any further.

A shorter letter has a better chance of being read by the casual reader.
I don't know about you but, I usually skim headlines and first paragraphs
of articles/letters in the paper simply because I don't have the time
to read them all.  If one looks interesting and worth my time I read it
or set it aside for when I have time. If someone gets their point across
in a paragraph or two I am more likely to spend the time reading it and
perhaps I will give it some thought on the drive to work. If it looks long
winded and of little impact on my life I usually skip it.

Michael Baker

Michael C. Baker, Ph.D.		Safeguards Science and Technology
Postdoctoral Research Associate	P.O. Box 1663, Mail Stop E540
Phone: (505) 667-7334		Los Alamos National Laboratory
Fax:   (505) 665-4433		Los Alamos, NM 87545