Re: Public Information

>As Jeff stated, the average education level in the USA is between 6th
>and 8th grade. Of course the average person in the USA doesn't read
>newspapers, doesn't watch the news, doesn't read anything, except
>perhaps a comic book, or, the back of the latest CD cover, etc.

I cannot speak with respect to the hypothetical average person.  I have
learned, however, to treat those with whom I speak with respect and to
respect their interest and ability to learn about subjects that interest
them.

With all due respect, I believe that the interests of the "average" person
does not matter to us as a profession.  Those who are most vocal in
opposition to us DO read the papers, listen to or watch the news, and speak
out against what bothers them (or they get their information from someone
who does these things).  Those who ask questions of us, too, are generally
interested in our answers and, as such, are willing to make an intellectual
effort to understand our response, even if only to better refute us later.

Instead of poking easy fun at intellectual agnostics (don't know, don't
care), shouldn't we concentrate on dealing with those with whom we WILL
communicate?  This may make it easier to accord them some degree of
respect, without which communication will not take place.

Andy

Andrew Karam, CHP  (karam.1@osu.edu)
The Ohio State University Office of Radiation Safety
1314 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH  43212
(614) 292-1284 (phone)
(614) 292-7002 (fax)