Re: Dose-response threshold from A-bomb survivor data

> Roger Clark, in a talk at Harvard, stated that the A-bomb
> survivor data shows that, if there is a threshold for radiation
> induced cancer, it is below 5 rem. He quoted a paper by Pierce et al
> in Radiation Research (1996). In case others are also deceived by
> that paper, I am sending the following Letter-to-the-Editor.

If this is what Clark said, then I think he is misquoting Pierce.  This is not
even a major point of the Pierce paper.  The real point of the paper is an
update on the data and examination of temporal trends, age-at-exposure and
sex.

The relevant material is on page 10

"We have considered the question of determining the minimum dose, d(m) for
which there is a statistically-significant dose response when analysis is
restricted to the range [0,d(m)]...  this d(m) is 0.05 Sv (P=0.02, two sided-
test)"

Quite apart from Cohen's issue with the statistical significance of the
finding, this really does not address the question of "if there is a threshold
how large could it be", since the analysis assumes a linear no-threshold dose-
response.

Also note that the statistical significance of Pierce's calculation has
already been questioned in a exchange of letters in the Oct 1997 issue.
(148:399-410)

John Moulder, Ph.D. (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)
Associate Editor
Radiation Research

To contact the journal:
Radiation Research
Life Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
1060 Commerce Park, MS 6480, Oak Ridge, Tenn.  36830-8026
voice:  423-574-5874
FAX: 423-576-4149
E-mail:  radres@aol.com