Re: Disposal of Old Radar Tubes

Date:          Thu, 18 Dec 1997 13:07:17 -0600 (CST)
From:          James Reese <jreese@smtpgate.ddrw.dla.mil>
To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:       Re: Disposal of Old Radar Tubes

The question of being "caught" is a practical one since many
municipal and industrial landfills have installed radiation
monitoring detectors that could easily detect a couple of microcuries
of cobalt 60, especially if the tubes are close to the vehicle wall.
If disposal via this route is acceptable under the general license
that governs the devices, you would be wise to check the tubes with a
micro-R type meter and make sure the cobalt 60 has decayed to
background.   Depending on the system, some units can detect a few
percenty above background.   This is a common problem with
out-patients that have received I-131 and dispose of tissues and
other articles soiled by nasal mucous and even sweat.

Tony LaMastra
Health Physics Associates, Inc.
alamastra@enter.net

     Tad

     If this were a perfect world you could dispose of these in the normal
     trash.  However, we have found that the States become very upset when
     this occurs, especially where a large quantity is involved.  We have
     been told by State regulators that we would be held liable for
     cleaning the dump site if we were "caught".  I am not certain how much
     legal ground they have to support their position, but my employer is
     not willing to find out.  Therefore we dispose of ours as radioactive
     waste and suffer the large costs of such a disposal.

     Only my thoughts.

     Jim Reese
     Defense Logistics Agency
     jreese@ddrw.dla.mil