RE: Nonukes: same discussion

Jean-Francois, Stephane said the following:

> But seriously can we change human nature ? We feed on fantastic, horror,
> death, paranormal, sex, controversies and MONEY. All nuclear related
> stories will sell but if you see an article in  mass media about food
> irradiation, two third of the article will be spent on explaining
> radiation hazards, "possible" catastrophies and how Co-60 is "very
> radioactive" (whatever that mean !)

Human nature is based on the environment in which one is brought up.
If an individual is continually exposed (no pun intended) to
negativism with respect to radiation related issues, then that
individual will be totally predisposed to be an anti-nuke, and, will
reject all reason, even when presented with the facts. This is
analogous to a bigot. Hazardous materials, aviation, automobiles, all
present potential dangers. However, they are not perceived to be
inherently full of imminent danger. The probability of nuclear
accidents that are catastrophic are LOW. The perception that these
will happen is HIGH .. this is due to constant barrage of falsehoods
and preconceived notions. Education, and lots of it, is the only tool
that we can use to chisel away at the monumental block of anti-nuke
paranoia.
------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director