Research Subject Doses

Happy Holidays,

All you Linear and Non-linear combatants please sharpen your pencils.
I am reviewing a human subject research study that proposes to expose
the subjects to a dose (TEDE) of 0.5 Rem. Extrapolating LINEARLY from
BEIR 5 data suggests that the risk from participating in this study is
about 4 deaths per 10,000 (10 Rem = 800 per 100,000).

I am deliberately not giving you all the information on radionuclide,
dose schedule, administered dose, etc. I am interested in your
thoughts on extrapolating in this fashion and if you have suggestions
on what the risk might be if one extrapolated using a non-linear
method.

Chuck Pickering, RSO
University of Southern California
(213) 342-2200