Research Subject Doses

Our Clinical Radiation Committee and Institutional Review
Board prefer to avoid stating radiation risk to research
subjects as a probability of adverse effect, such as death.
So doing would require adoption of some model; one can
produce coherent arguments pro and con for basically any
model of low-dose radiation risk.  We, instead, provide a
statement of the time required for an average subject to
receive an equivalent dose from natural background
radiation.  Using the NCRP figure of 3 mSv/y, your
procedure that delivers 500 mrem, or 5 mSv, would equate to
about 1 y 8 mo of background.  This assumes that your 5 mSv
was calculated as effective dose (or effective dose
equivalent).  Obviously this does not completely avoid the
issue of which model to use, since weight factors for
effective dose are derived from linear dose-response
models.  We think that our method is much less
objectionable.
Use of time for equivalent background exposure provides
information to the subject that is at least as useful as
probability of adverse effect, at least for subject
consideration for informed consent.  So far we have not
encountered any objections to this method of risk
expression.
S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@Vanderbilt.Edu