Re[2]: IRPA-9 TEXTBOOK ON WEB

     I haven't checked out the textbook.  However, we at Sandia have
     calculated doses both for incident-free transportation and for
     transportation accidents for a  very large number of routes in the U.
     S.  (averages don't make much sense here because of the long distances
     traveled) Many of these results are in the open literature (see, for
     example, Weiner, LaPlante, and Hageman, Risk Analysis, v.11, December
     1991, pp. 655-666 - yes this is one of my publications but I happened
     to have the ref. handy).

     We use a program called RADTRAN to calculate doses.  RADTRAN is
     available to anyone, free for nothing, through an interface called
     TRANSNET ,If you have a modem.  If you want to access TRANSNET and
     RADTRAN, send me an e-mail directly and I will give you directions for
     obtaining access, getting the user's manual, etc..  Also, we give an
     all-day course on RADTRAN use at the meetings that deal with
     radioactive waste.  The next course will be in April 1998 at a risk
     analysis workshop at Hanford (sponsored by American Nuclear Society).
     E-mail me if you want information on this.  If any organization wants
     to set up a course and can get 20 people together, we can probably
     arrange to have Sandia put the course on.

     RADTRAN is very easy and fast to use (a run takes a few minutes) and
     is internationally recognized.  RADTRAN I dates to 1972.  RADTRAN II
     was used in NUREG-0170, the 1977 EIS on transporting radioactive
     materials, which is now being revised using RADTRAN 4 and RADTRAN 5.

     Ruth Weiner
     Transportation Systems Department
     Sandia National Labs Mail Stop 0718
     P. O. Box 5800