Re: Drill Scenario Comment: A Rebuttal

You wrote:

Ernie is totally incorrect; two workers at the Trojan Nuclear Plant WERE NOT
KILLED at the Trojan Nuclear Plant during a refueling outage.  However, two
workers received an acute external exposure during a fuel transfer
operation, but the doses were at least an order of magnitude below the
LD50/30 for acute exposure.  Among the contributing causes of the accident,
which was investigated by both the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the
State of Oregon, were design flaws, instrument failure, and improper
procedures.

Ron Kathren, CHP

  At 03:29 PM 1/12/98 -0600, Egoitein wrote:
>Two workers were killed during a refueling outage at the Trojan nuclear plant
>many years ago.   They were inside the containment near the fuel transfer tube
>where spent fuel is moved from the refueling cavity to the spent fuel pool.  I
>wonder about the validity of your calculations.   Ernie

For those who would like more information on the Trojan incident, it is
documented in NRC, IE Bulletin 78-08, "Radiation Levels From Fuel Element
Transfer Tubes".  The reported whole body doses are 27.3 and 17.1 rems.  There
is a similar potential for acute exposures in BWR's in the upper containment
during fuel transfers, if a fuel bundle were dropped into the bellows area.
BWR's generally have administrative controls which exclude personnel from the
upper containment during fuel transfer operations.  The recent failure to
follow such administrative controls resulted in a violation at Clinton.  (see
NRC Radiation Protection and Chemistry Inspection Report No.
50-461/96012(DRS), dated February 27, 1997).  Another potential for lethal
exposures is during diving operations in the spent fuel pool. I've seen three
documented events where there was the potential for such exposure in U.S.
plants (see:  (1) IE Inforamtion Notice 82-31 (Indian Point 2), IE Information
Notice 84-61 (Palisades), and NRC Information Notice 97-68 (Calvert Cliffs)).
I feel that the potential for lethal exposures is an issue which needs a lot
more attention.  These are real, not hypothetical risks. As you can see from
the 1997 NRC Notice and the 1997 Clinton inspection report, these events seem
to keep happening. If we don't stop them, sooner or later our luck will run
out.  I hate to think of the public relations fallout if someone were actually
injured or killed by radiation exposure.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com