Contact Dose Rates (RE: Drill Scenario)

I agree totally with Ted's counselling on the proper use
of instrumentation for measuring dose rates.  However, during
my career, I have only been able to review surveys of
irradiated fuel that were taken underwater. That is where the
initial values I used came from.  Therefore, a 30 cm or 100 cm
dose rate (thru the water) would not lend itself very well for
ascertaining the dose rates (in air) of an irradiated fuel
bundle.  I just wanted to provide the RADSAFE community
with a rational of the time required to receive a lethal dose
in the scenario Bruce described. My point, is even if I was low
by an order of magnitude, most prople on the floor would have
time to exit the area (with less than a lethal dose).  As soon as
the fuel bundle neared the surface of the pool, the people in
the area would know something was happening (i.e. radiation
monitors would be alarming).  If I were to provide an official
calcualtion, I would not use measured dose rates by a survey
meter.  I would use other empirical data including the irradiated
fuel's EFPY, the associated neutron fluences (which would vary,
because in a commerical plant, a fuel bundle is burned typically
for three cycles, and is in a different core location each cycle),
fuel bundle composition, enrichment, and other factors.