RE: Revco Freezers and shared facilities -Reply

The idea that separate, posted "clean areas" in parts of labs used for
"office" type functions are not OK in research facilities ranges from
"silly" to "absolutely correct", depending on the quantities of radioactive
materials present and the experimental procedures utilized.  Most labs now
use very modest quantities in well contained experiments performed by
trained individuals.  Surface contamination, even on workbenches, is rare.
The current NRC emphasis on security for even uCi levels of beta emitters is
a good example of "overregulation."

Even the most draconian security requirements would not have prevent most of
the historical serious internal contamination incidents in research
labs--deliberate criminal acts by knowledgeable insiders.

I completely agree that nuclear medicine pharmacies, PET radiochemistry
labs, research reactors, and similar facilities should be totally separated
(by walls and doors) from any areas where food and beverages are permitted.

Frank E. Gallagher, III, CHP       |   300 University Tower
Manager, Radiation Protection      |   Irvine, CA   92697-2725
Radiation Safety Officer           |     E-mail: fegallag@uci.edu
Environmental Health and Safety    |     Office: (714) 824-6904
University of California, Irvine   |     Fax:    (714) 824-8539
          Note: Area code changes to (949) on 4/18/98.