RE: Radioactive Metals

Otto,

They are probably most concerned with recycled scrap metal that may have residual radioactivity.  The NRC and EPA are working on standards for the release of volumetrically contaminated material (such as metal).  This metal, once released for general use, could end up in consumer goods.  A groundswell of criticism has arisen from the large amounts of scrap metal expected to be generated in Oak Ridge as they decommission the gaseous diffusion facilities at the East Tennessee Technology Park (formerly known as the K-25 Site and the Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion Plant).  The contractor, BNFL, gets to keep/sell any recoverable metals, if I am not mistaken.

Jim Yusko (Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources) is a good source of information on this issue from a national perspective.  He has (co-)written several papers on the subject.  I was involved in a review of DOE's metal recycling options last year.

Bill

William D. Ulicny					ATL International, Inc.
Wulicny@erols.com					12800 Middlebrook Rd.
301-515-6799						Suite 100
301-972-6904 (fax)					Germantown, MD 20874-52-4
							http://www.atlintl.com