Re: US NRC Press Release re Thyroid Protection/Emergencies-Reply

Bob, I am not sure about allergic reactions to elemental iodine.  However, I have seen
some servere reactions to iodinated compounds used in X-ray as contrast agents and I
remember in a past life, the M.D. would inject a small of amount of contrast agent
first to check for reaction.   Regarding shelf life,  seems like the FDA extended the
use life of potassium iodide that had expired to allow it to be distributed and used past
its expiration date.

KMP@NRC.Gov.  Again, these are my thoughts and they have not been reviewed or
approved by the NRC.