Re: Skull Caps With Respirators

gwkindred@firstenergycorp.com

With all the responses to the skull cap issue, I was going
to remain silent.  However, sometimes I just can't keep my
mouth shut. I have never heard of any program being cited
for using skull caps with a respirator. In my opinion, the
real proof is in the reults that we can ascertain (i.e. internal
deposition).  Granted, respirators are not used to the extent
(in power reactors) as they used to be.  But, I recall situations
where personnel worked with respirators (and skull caps) in
very high airborne areas with no internal deposition.  Therefore,
I believe it has been proven time and time again that skull caps
do not interfere with the performance of a respirator.  Someone
else mentioned previously that if it is the practice to wear a
skull cap in the field, then it is necessary to perform the fit-test
with a skull cap too. I agree.