Re: http://www.citizen.org/cmep/

The question as to release levels for recycling metals (and other
objects) tends to be complex, at least in the US.  The best reference for
general information is an IAEA publication, "Application of Exemption
Principles to the Recycle and Reuse of Materials from Nuclear
Facilities," (Safety Series No. 111-P-1.1, ISBN 92-0-104992-7), published
in 1992.  There have been some developments since then, notably
implementation of a metal melting process for decontamination, but the
information is still valid.

Also, back when I worked in Oak Ridge, we were writing an Environmental
Assessment for recycling contaminated metals from the K-25 Site (I know,
the name has changed now).  We did a reasonable pathways analysis and
estimated population doses from the metal (mostly nickel), but I don't
know if the EA was ever published in final form - I changed jobs and left
town before the project ended.  You might try to find out from the DOE
Environmental Management organization in Oak Ridge.

Mark Smith
web25@charweb.org