Von: FRAMEP@ORAU.GOV <FRAMEP@ORAU.GOV>
An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Datum: Donnerstag, 22. Jänner 1998 23:34
Betreff: Re: Ionic Charger help ID -Reply

>>I often wonder whether germanium detectors are not "state of the art"
>>in the
>>USA when reading some questions on RADSAFE. I dare say that they
>>are "state
>>of the art" in Europe .....
>>No flame intended, any flames welcome.
>
>>Franz
>
>No offense taken ;-)
>
>I wouldn't be surprised if that "state of the art" germanium system you
>are using  was made in the USA.  On the other hand, I have heard that
>you folk in Vienna are still trying to make measurements with some of the
>electroscopes Stephan Meyer had to leave behind when he was booted
>out in 1938.
>
>PS The first commercially available GeLi and HPGE detectors were, to the
>best of my knowledge, produced here in town by ORTEC in the early 60s
>and 80s respctively.
>
>;-)
>
>best wishes
>
>paul frame

'Dear Paul and other RADSAFERs,

I thought that my mail would be recognized as a question of how application
of HPGe detectors is prevalent in the USA.

To answer your statements:

The latest HPGe we ordered is from Canberra, manufactured in the
Netherlands. We do not care, where our detectors come from, they simply have
to fulfil our requirements.

I called my friends at the Institute for Nuclear Physics and Radium
Research. They do not "try to  make measuments with
electroscopes.......".but they use one of the electroscopes still for
purposes that can be solved by these measurements. Needless to say that they
have Germanium detectors............

Moreover your comments regarding Stephan Meyer are wrong. You should know,
that Austria was occupied by German troops. You should know that a large
number of scientists were dismissed because of their jewish origin. This was
the case in all of Germany and (former) Austria. You should know that
Stephan Meyer was forced to dismiss as head of the Radium Institute. You
should know that he was nevertheless still working at the same institute.
You should know that he then retreated to his villa in - I think it was
somewhere in Upper Austria. Please stop that nonsense of accusing the
Austrians of being Nazis. I would be happy to know that this was not your
intention.

Franz