Subject: re: uranium toxicity
Author:  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu > at internet-mail
Date:    1/26/98 10:26 AM

>As I understand it, the uranium TLV is based solely upon the chemical
>toxicity to the kidneys.  In this regard, the TLV does not concern
>itself with the radiotoxicity, and is independent of enrichment levels.
>I noted Ron Kathren's reply which stated that that depleted or natural
>uranium, the chemical toxicity is so controlling that radiotoxicity
>effects can be ignored.  Though a true statement from an acute effects
>perspective, it is wise to keep in mind that even depleted uranium can
>cause exceedences of facility administrative control limits or ALARA
>goals at concentrations less than chemical TLVs, especially if you are
>dealing with the inhalation of insoluble (i.e., "Y" class) forms of
>uranium.
>
>G. John Hampshire, CHP, RRPT
>kaitlyn1@concentric.net
>
>(just my own thoughts...)

My recollection of chronic U toxicity also puts chemical toxicity far ahead
of any radiotoxicity regardless of ALARA.  If I remember correctly, chronic
intake of  depletedU cannot deliver a stochastic dose of consequence
without first delivering a chemical toxic problem of lethal dimensions.  Am
I wrong?
mgoldman@ucdavis.edu