Re: Depleted Uranium vs. Tungsten -Reply

Clearly the chemical (as well as physical) form of a material does affect
its chemical toxicity, as well as lung clearance and hence dose to
respiratory tract as well as uptake.  These factors are considered in the
current ICRP lung m,odel.  There may be other problems as well: UF6 and also
UF4, I believe,  hydrolyze to produce HF, which in itself is a very highly
irritant and hence toxic material.

Ron Kathren
Director, US Transuranium and Uranium Registries

VISIT the USTUR Web Page at:  http://hano.tricity.wsu.edu/~ustur/