Noble gasses in power plant accident scenarios -Reply

The "type two" accident appears to be a fuel handling accident in the spent
fuel pool.  For this accident the isotopic mix would depend greatly on the age
of the damaged fuel.  The older the fuel the greater will be the percentage of
the long half life isotope Kr-85

Claude Flory
Northeast Utilities
floryca@gwsmtp.nu.com

>>> Joelle Key <jkey@mail.state.tn.us> 01/30/98 12:54pm >>>
I was just looking over the isotopic concentrations, as predicted, for an
accident involving either of the nuclear power plants in this state.

In a type one accident, (noble gasses and iodine only, also called a gap
release I think) the release is characterized as being around 8% isotopes
of Kr and 93% isotopes of Xe.  In a type two release, (one involving fuel
damage) the release is characterized as being around 41% isotopes of
Kr and 58% isotopes of Xe.

My question is this:

Does it seem reasonable for the ratios of noble gasses to vary between
these two accident types?  If so can someone give me a basic
explaination of why?

Please respond directly.

Joelle Key
jkey@mail.state.tn.us