Re: Cancer Assessment Press Release

Hello Radsafe colleagues:

Steve Wing's findings of elevated cancer incidence of multiple
myeloma at DOE sites was interesting.  He found the odds ratio for
workers with doses >5 rem compared with workers with dose < 1rem to
be 4.34.  Interestingly, the National Cancer Institute SEER Report
(1973-1991) shows the ratio of the state with the highest mortality
rate of multiple myeloma (District of Columbia, 4.5 deaths per
100,000/year) and the state with the lowest mortality rate (Hawaii,
1.7 deaths per 100,000/year) to be 2.6.  If such a difference is seen
in very large control populations, I would not be surprised to see odds
ratios of 4 when comparing smaller control groups.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a normal range of background cancers?  I
don't think I've ever seen dose effect curves where the range of the effect at
background is given.  Given the variability of the human corporeal
health, this information would be handy to assess whether there is
truely cause for concern.  For instance, I've seen the background
cancer mortality as 16%., 17%, 20%, and 25%, but I've never seen it
as X% +/- SD.  The normal range is used in many parts of medicine.
When you get a CBC, your WBC count is given as an acceptible range to
account for the huge width of acceptible values.  It seems to me that
this would be a finer measurement of an area of concern than
comparing two populations, especially when you can compare two control
populations and yield elevated odds ratios.  [P.S.  I know that the CI is
supposed to allude to variability of background,  but that's not very
clear, is it?]

Tom Mohaupt
Wright State University
tmohaupt@wright.edu