Re: Cancer Assessment Press Release

Ron,
So what this implies (playing the devil's advocate) is that the nuclear
industry
is the ONLY industry that has this physical screening and regular periodic
exams
to maintain worker health.  Also, we have had supreme luck in selecting
individuals to work in this industry that natually have less incidence of
cancer
than the rest of the population.
More curiosity questions for the epidemiologists out there.  Does the
"general population" in these studies include those below or well below the
poverty line?  How do you deal with the confounding factor (is that the
correct
term?) of people who refuse to take care of themselves or refuse medical
treatment on religious grounds?  Trying to do a balanced and fair
epidemiological study sounds liek a complete nightmare.  Seems like there's
way too much room for
bias and opinion to seep in.

Scott Kniffin

mailto:Scott.D.Kniffin.1@gsfc.nasa.gov
RSO, Unisys Corp. @ Lanham, MD
CHO, Radiation Effects Facility, GSFC, NASA, Greenbelt, MD

The opinions expressed here are my own.  They do not necessarily represent
the views of Unisys Corporation or NASA.  This information has not been
reviewed by my employer or supervisor.