Re: Food Irradiation article

     This is a very good article for a co-op magazine, and I congratulate
     you! I have one very tiny bone to pick:  there is  almost as much
     exaggeration about the dangers of pesticides and herbicides as about
     irradiation.  Remember Alar?  As the penultimate issue of Consumer
     Reports points out, washing fruit and vegetables thoroughly and
     carefully leaves an essentially negligible residue.  It should also be
     noted that agricultural use of pesticides and herbicides is regulated
     but until recently, use of the term "organic" had no standards
     associated with it at all.

     Clearly my own opinion and no one else's.

     Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
     Transportation Systems Department
     Sandia National Laboratories
     Mail Stop 0718