Food Irradiation article

Hello Charles, and group,

This is an excellent article. I agree with the emphasis on the food, not the
technology.

Two thoughts: Where you note that food is not left radioactive, the idea that
this no more possible than a person being left radioactive from dental or
chest x-rays seems to work well. And the idea of the direct parallel with milk
pasteurization works well, including the public controversy that required
pasteurized milk to be labeled "boiled milk". (See the sidebar on the
historical parallel in the MIT article.)

There is also a parallel to the idea of being told that we would not
pasteurize milk, but instead to tell people to "boil it yourself". This is the
same as being told to "cook meat to 160 degrees" to assure that bacteria are
killed, when the issue should be to eliminate the bacteria in the first place
(admittedly from a preference for medium-rare flavorful, not medium-well chewy
:-)  Another aspect: propose that people consider being told that we would no
longer allow pasteurizing milk.

Great job. Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com