Re: New Steve Wing Study

Otto, and group,

Otto's summary well portrays the background to Wing and this study. But for
those of us not in the federal establishment, is this study actually published
and available anywhere?

However, it does not seem that the idea that such a supposed "scientific
study" would be produced by DOE as anti-nuclear propaganda and fed to the
entire government with videotape disinformation, rather than being published
and reviewed in the scientific literature for review and comment, has
generated the adverse reaction that would be expected.

This seems especially true in light of Wing's historical known work to produce
biased results, and claims (JAMA 1991, and personal appearances in his seeming
attempt to claim John Gofman's mantle) that careful review and assessment of
the data isn't important as long as the message is in the cause and effective
in attacking the evil nuclear enterprise that poses a risk to the future of
humanity. (Note that Wing is a sociologist, not a scientist. At best a
sociologist with a statistics course, and seemingly well plugged into the
politically-correct radiation-fear-mongering government funding spigots.)

Does anyone know of any other discussions where this is being addressed? Are
there any discussions within the Federal establishment?

Why is there so little shock and concern about what is happening to science
and integrity, with so little reaction? Has the cadre of competent scientists
that once made up the labs and DOE/gov't-funded programs been reduced through
attrition to a few supporters of the 'any radiation is harmful' philosophy?
though I suppose there may be concern about negative reactions from DOE to
taking contrary positions?

Thanks. Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com
muckerheide@mediaone.net