Re: New Steve Wing Study

Jerry Fallo pointed to a couple of good points about why bad science can
flourish in studies of radiation health effects: good science is more
complicated and we don't have a wining spokesman, like Carl Sagan or
Stephen Gould.  I agree with him that Otto Raabe may be taking up this
mantle, though (and quite capably).  I would like to point to another
factor that I have not seen discussed relative to public communication: the
shift to a postmodern worldview.

To discribe what I mean by postmodern, it might be easist to start with
what the so-called modern world view.  This is the view most HPs hold.
Through reasoned analysis, especially using the empirical, scientific
method, society is able to learn more and more and eventually answer all
the important questions.  This replaced the ancient worldview, that
knowledge is handed down from authoritative sources (e.g., Aristotle, the
church, etc.).  The postmodern worldview basically says that we are so
contaminated by our own presuppositions that we can never arrive at the
truth.  Even if you try to be objective, you cannot overcome your own biases.

Basically, postmeodernism says what's true for you is fine for you, but I
have no obligation to accept your truth.  Truth is a multiple-choice
proposition.  All views are equally valid.  Pluralism reigns in science and
health as much as in culture and public policy.  Note the rise in
alternative medicine, even though these techniques might lack the
scientific rigors of traditional, Western medicine.

In roder to reach such a culture it is important to address the unstated
and often unconscious worldview at work.  I am not optimistic that this can
be done in the short run.  But in the long run, there is more reason for
hope.  Cultural paradigms are not permanent, although they are powerful
when they are in vogue.  In a generation or two, the culture will have
adopted another approach to life and it might have a more favorable outlook
on technology.

Regards,
Dave Scherer
scherer@uiuc.edu