In need of a Liquid Scintillation Counter

  I thought other RADSAFERS might find this interesting as well.

  I ran into a problem a year ago when a researcher asked me to assist
  them in donating a LSC to a university.  10CFR31.5(c)(8) only allows
  transfer or disposal of generally licensed material (the source in
  the LSC) by transfer to someone holding a part 30 AND part 32
  specific license.  NRC Region III strictly interpreted this to mean
  that I couldn't directly transfer the LSC to the university.
  Instead, I ended up having to send the LSC back to the manufacture
  (part 30 & 32 licensee) and then having them forward it on to the
  university.  The manufacturer was happy to do this for a fee, just
  like they're happy to charge you for removing and disposing the
  source when you want to scrap the LSC.

  I also asked NRC Region III how they interpreted 10CFR31.5(c)(9)(i).
  This section, according to them, is only applicable for instance
  when a company is bought by another company.  The generally licensed
  material can be transferred (in ownership) to the new company as
  long as it is going to remain at the same address.

  Let me know if you hear of a different interpretation or some
  exception that I or NRC Region III missed.

  Tim Popp
  Health Physics Scientist
  Pharmacia & Upjohn
  timothy.l.popp@am.pnu.com