Smears (AKA Swipes)

Hey Radsafers,
    Does anyone know of any studies on taking smears/swipes?  I am trying to
put together a Statistics class for technicians who are hostile to training.
You know the types: "This won't help me do a better survey . . ."  The thought
came to me that no one has studied the manner of smear taking.  Many plants use
1 3/4 inch smears, but some still use 1" smears.  The wider smear allows the
surveyor to place an extra finger on the backside surface and thus swipe more
area if they use the same 16 to 18 inch "S" shape.  I would sure appreciate any
input here.
Anthony F. (Tony) Armagno
Northeast Utilities Millstone Station
Tele: (860) 437-2519
E-Mail: armagaf@gwsmtp.nu.com
According to Cowboy Wisdom: There's more ways to skin a cat than stickin' his
head in a boot jack and jerkin' on his tail!