Re: Emergency Release Levels - Personnel

Dave Tucker asked the following:

> I am looking for guidance on acceptable levels of residual
> contamination on site personnel being released from the site during an
> emergency.  Does anyone have a relevant standard or useful in-house
> policy on this?

Interesting question.  My perspective is, when there is an emergency
situation, one is not taking the time to frisk each individual. The
object is to get them away from the facility ASAP. This assumes that
the emergency condition involves an evacuation of the entire plant
area. For a local evacuation of a specific area within the facility,
one could do a contamination check, and, initiate a decontamination
process.

In the power reactor world, there are two off-site facilities
established as assembly areas (this is how it was at both sites when
I was at FPL). Other facilities may implement a staging area
differently. The contamination check of personnel and belongings;,
i.e., cars, trucks, etc., was done at this location. These decon
areas were worked under the authority of the state, and they released
the individuals based on their own limits. I don't recall the
specifics at this point...

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director