Regulatory Use of the ISC3 Model for Dose Assessment

     On 2/12/98 Daniel Chen Wrote:

     "We have project to determine the critical group affected by our
     research reactor operation. The modeling domain is relative small and
     complex in geometry......Now we are seeking the regulatory base to
     support our decision to use ISC3"

     The ISC3 is probably the only model that can simulate the aerodynamic
     downwash effect of nearby buildings/structures on a point source. You
     need to use EPA BPIPE model to generate the crosswind dimensions &
     heights of the affected bldgs.  However, ISC3 is not recommended if
     the receptors (i.e. bldg air intakes, platforms, etc.) of interest are
     within the cavity region of the stack bldg (which extends to about 3
     times the lesser of the height or projected width of the bldg).  You
     may use EPA SCREEN model for receptors within the cavity (SCREEN can
     only model a single bldg). The nuclear decay can be ignored if plume
     travel time is much less than decay time (which usually is the case).

     For complex geometry, 3-D fluid flow modeling for pollutant transport,
     tracer gas experiments, or wind tunnel modeling are among other
     options. If you have monitoring data, you may develop a predictive
     tool that reasonably fits existing data and estimates airborne
     concentrations.  We're in the process of developing a semi- empirical
     model (Gaussian dispersion plus statistical analysis) that uses
     existing radon monitoring data to predict on- and off-site airborne
     concentrations for different release scenarios.  If you are
     interested, I'll send you some info when I'm done.

     Ebrahim Esmaili, Ph.D.
     Parsons Infrastructure & Technology Group, Inc.
     ebrahim_esmaili@parsons.com