Re: Charcoal Filter for Fume Hood

Johannes Strydom wrote:

> Radsafers,
>
> We are trying to set up one of our fume hoods as an iodinization hood.
> Currently it has a 24" by 24" by 2" prefilter and a 24" by 24" by 12"
> HEPA filter.  We're looking for a charcoal filter that is better than
> 90% efficient to replace the HEPA filter.  I have only been able to find
> a charcoal prefilter (about 25% efficient).  Does anyone know of a
> supplier for this type of filter?  Thanks.
>
> --
> Johannes "Fritz" Strydom
> Health Physicist
> Office of Radiological Safety
> Georgia Institute of Technology
> (404) 894-3605  (404) 894-9325 Fax
> fritz.strydom@ors.gatech.edu

Fritz,

You might try Charcoal Service Corp., Bath, NC, 919-923-2911. The
charcoal used for adsorbing radioiodines is generally known as "nuclear
grade carbon". My experience is that 90% capture efficiency for I-125 is
readily achievable.

Regards,
Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.