Case-Control Radon Studies in the U.S.

Al,

I would be glad to send you a copy of the methodology.  I think it will
answer a lot of your questions.  If after you have read the methodology for
the Iowa Residential Radon Case Control study, you still have questions.  I
am more than happy to answer them.  In fact, I really welcome your comments
as far as how you think the study could be improved.  We will have
preliminary papers coming out over the next year prior to the major
findings paper that will provide additional details about the study.

Some of the up coming publications include ---------

1. Methodology paper - published in Journal of Exposure Analysis and
Environmental Epidemiology, Volume 6(2):181-195, 1996.
2. Paper describing how we account for the participant mobility - accepted
for publication
3. Dosimetry paper describing study QA (accuracy and precision of detectors
(submitted)
4. Paper describing how we model and account for smoking (submitted)
5. Paper describing outdoor radon exposure in Iowa and how we link this
information to individual exposure estimates (submitted).

FYI -- A paper describing our outdoor radon measurements at 160 locations in
Iowa and MN was just presented a the radiation meetings in New Zealand
(SPERA).
Paper revealed that year long OUTDOOR radon concentrations in Iowa are
surprisingly high.

5.) Paper describing the spatial distribution of radon within the home

Directly email me your mail address and I will send you a copy of the
Methods paper.

Regards, Bill
bill-field@uiowa.edu

At 02:56 AM 2/28/98 -0600, you wrote:
>R. William Field wrote:
>

>> We are currently performing a case-control study in Iowa examining the
>> relationship between residential radon exposure and lung cancer.  The study
>> is funded by the National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences.
>> The methodology for the study is published in the Journal of Exposure
>> Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology 6(2) 181-195, 1996.
>
>I trust that the residential radon exposure will be expressed in rem,
>rad or some other real dose quantity for each person in the study.
>Simply using pCi/liter data won't work becuse, without additional
>information about the variation of the concentration with time and the
>actual time a person is exposed to the varying concentrations, there is
>no way to use concentration data in a meaningful way.  It is the dose
>that counts, not the concentration.  Also, I trust that all of the data
>will be published on how each calculated dose was arrived at so we can
>see that the methodology was followed.
>
>Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

******************************
R. William Field, Ph.D.