Re: Background radiation and cancer

Am I being simple minded in  suggesting that these kinds of comparisons
should be made on he basis of age-adjusted rates, which should at least
removes some of the confusion of what is being compared to what.  From an
eyeball scan of the figures for such rates in the American Cancer Society's
"Cancer Facts and Figures-1997", for males it appears that from 1950 on
there has been a dramatic increaser in the mortality rates for Lung Cancer
and a smaller one for Prostate Cancer. For females, the outstanding
increase is for Lung Cancer, This same ACS Report provides 20 year rates
and percentage trends for the 20 years 1971-73 and 199l-1993 for twenty
three cancers, for males and females.
Andy Hull
S&EP Div
Brookhaven National Laboratory